My gratitude practice is something I started as a way to remind myself to be grateful. It was inspired by my friend, Kevin, a hospice physician.
My sister Susan has had a long standing practice which I appreciate, but never quite embraced. When she wakes up every morning, she prays for something good to happen to the people she loves and cares about. Her list is quite long, however, she's been faithful in doing this for years.
My gratitude journey is a bit different, however, it works for me. Here's what's happened since I began this:
- People (sometimes strangers) have contacted me (many privately) to say how much they appreciate the posts.
- On some of the darkest days (both literally and figuratively), the posts have indeed lifted me up.
- My lens has sharpened to appreciate things I've taken for granted including falling snow, a perfect vine ripened tomato, a fresh brewed cup of coffee and precious memories (so many of them).
- Learning to live and embrace the present is better than looking back or fretting about the future.
- Rather than trying to make sense of something, it’s better to make peace with it.
- I was taken on a journey I didn’t know I needed to bring me closer to where I need to go and be.
My friend Pat Altavater publishes an excellent magazine called Soar to Success. The gratitude practice resonated with her and I've recently become a monthly contributor to the magazine, for which I'm very grateful. I'll be writing in the Personal Growth space and look forward to readers checking out my articles as well as those of some pretty awesome contributors. You can also subscribe here to receive the digital publication right to your email box.
Pat Bennett is the founder and President of Pat's Granola, a Cleveland based food and collaborative lifestyle brand. Pat's Granola is sold online at www.patsgranola.com and is also available at select Northeast Ohio businesses including:
Troubadour Coffee Roasters www.troubadourcoffeeroasters.com
Sports and Spine Physical Therapy www.sportspine.com
Locle Box www.loclebox.com
Made Cleveland www.madecleveland.com
Nature's Oasis Lakewood www.naturesoasis.com
Happy Cows Group Share Happy Cows Group Share
Sweet Bean Candies Sweet Bean Candies
The Bake Shop and Cafe The Roaming Biscuit
Marketwagon NEO MarketWagon
The Corner at The Van Aken District The Corner at The Van Aken District
NEW! Farmers Feast at BottleHouse Brewery & Meadery
Pat's October 29 appearance on New Day Cleveland
Learn Pats story: