Love it or not, pumpkin spice is a much anticipated flavor event in the fall. Merriam Webster has even added it to its next dictionary as an accepted term of art!
I’m always on the lookout for “untraditional” recipes using pumpkin. Here are a few favorites.
This Pumpkin Spice Dessert Parfait was inspired by a recipe in the book, Deliciously Healthy Pregnancy by Rhiannon Lambert, a UK based nutritionist.
This makes two servings (just double it for more)
- Place the yogurt, pumpkin purée, pumpkin pie spice, and honey or maple syrup in a bowl and whisk until smooth and creamy.
- Spoon a quarter of the mixture each into two glasses or mugs and top with a quarter of the granola, raisins, and cashews/pecans.
- Spoon the remaining pumpkin mixture on top before sprinkling over the rest of the granola, raisins, and nuts.
* Homemade pumpkin pie spice:
4 tsp ground cinnamon, 2 tsp ground ginger, 1 tsp ground cloves, 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg. Combine spices and store in a jar until ready to use.
These dreamy rolls would be perfect for breakfast, brunch or an afternoon coffee break. Save this recipe for the upcoming winter holidays to celebrate with family and friends.
This recipe pushes the pumpkin boundaries -- it’s light, creamy and makes an unexpectedly delicious dip with crackers, toasted pita crisps or veggies.
A deliciously addictive bread or muffin that guarantees no leftovers!
This was actually inspired by a drink from Cleveland's Pura Vida.
Pumpkin Overnight Oats
This makes an easy and delicious breakfast. And the kiddos will love it!
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats, can use gluten-free oats
- 1/2 cup milk of your choice
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons chia seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Pinch of sea salt
- Topping Ideas: whipped cream, chopped candied pecans or pecans, pepitas, chocolate chips, dried cranberries, or granola
In a jar or bowl, combine the oats, milk, yogurt, pumpkin, maple syrup, chia seeds, vanilla pumpkin pie spice, and sea salt.
Stir well to make sure all the ingredients are combined. Cover with a lid and place in the refrigerator overnight.
In the morning, remove from the refrigerator and stir. Top with desired toppings and enjoy!
Got a favorite recipe with pumpkin, I'd love to hear from you!
Pat Bennett is the founder and President of Pat's Granola, a Cleveland based food and lifestyle company.
Pat's Granola is sold online at www.patsgranola.com and is also available at select Northeast Ohio businesses.
Listen to Pat's story: